17 January 2009

A donkey ate my homework!

So I have extended my stay in the Kombo district (city along the coast) by a few days to work out some logistics for a grant that the women's group is receiving in my village. Two of Jali's villagers came in to do some banking and to purchase fencing materials for the 3.5 hectare garden. Hopefully everything will go smoothly and we'll be back upcountry by Tuesday!

So I thought it would be fun to share some of my favorite Mandinka words and proverbs:

Yiri kuuto sii mee baa kono nonwonang a te kela noo bamboo ti.
A tree truck in the water will never be a crocodile.

Hooji koto hooji hoojita le bang?
How about our previous, secret arrangement?

Suumoolu lee? - How are the home people?
A be jang dorong - They are there only

Fo naato - Until later...

naamato - crazy person

ninkinanko - dragon - maybe not too useful, but a good icebreaker for the kids, Where is your dragon?

M niinata/ M ninaata - I am beautiful / I forget - It took me a while to learn that I was calling myself beautiful when I forgot someone's name...

fooleesuwo - bicycle or literally rubber horse

luumo- weekly market

silifando - gift from a traveller

kolyatta - difficult or expensive

This time of year, apparently until February, is the "cold season" in the Gam. It is probably about 70 degrees at night and in the early mornings, but if you only saw a picture of the villagers and their attire, you would think we were somewhere in Alaska. Knitted snow caps, blankets, wool sweaters, and even an occasional snow suit can be seen throughout the village. Don't ask me how they got them...

No comments: