18 January 2009

Pictures from Training village to Swear in!

These pictures go from most to least recent:
Annie and I.
Training staff

Kaiaf Village trainees/ PC family- best group EVER! Lyn, Me, Dave, and Jessi


The new environment volunteers.
My backyard - notice the amazing papayas and tree nursery! Not to mention the african mahogany pull-up bar ;) My new home at my permanent site and a goat.
Naming ceremony in Kaiaf village- my new name is "Habsa". This is a village elder "shaving" my head- traditionally done to a new baby when they are named.

Pounding rice to remove the shell casing.
Some of my host sisters
My Kaiaf host father- Bunja Koli and the ram we slaughtered for Tobaski.
River Gambia- Janjanbureh Island
River Gambia at Janjanbureh Island for our Environment technical field trip.

Alkaalo induction- all the women are wearing the same fabric- called a Sobe.

At the ceremony to induct a new alkaalo- village chief. Dave, Lyn, Scott, and I.

Some of my host siblings and I in training village- Sanne, Merro, and Omar.

No comments: